happyweasel

Monday, September 06, 2004

Bumbershoot 2004

Today is my first and last day attending the Bumbershoot Music Festival this year.
Subject to change, My Planned Schedule:
1. Harvey Pekar 1pm (Did you see American Splendor? He's the guy)
Alright, I rode my scooter in a mad fury in a fruitful run at 11am to get a wristband for the priviledge to see The Pixies...wheu, got one. Then back home to stock up "supplies". All stocked up and set to meet Kathy at this Harvey Pekar show, I left again, this time long striding it from Capital Hill to Queen Anne. 40minutes later I confront a giant line outside a theater with a "Show Full" sign. Damn. How could I possibly get in? As is often the case, one can wait for people to leave and get a seat into the performace. I was far back, though, didn't look good. I'm stubborn and wanted to see this guy, so I planned to wait it out. But who is 5th or 6th in line? That's right, Kathy. Without the slightest qualm about sliding up in line, I became 6th or 7th. Hot damn, missed only 5minutes or so. Initially I thought it'd be a long hour, Mr. Pekar speaks with a lot of "umm" "uuuh" "things like that" "I don't know, something" (s), but slowly it became clear that he was actually very coherant. Famously he is an unhappy clerk in Cleveland, my old neck of the woods. He had an awkward way of developing ideas. In and out of tangents, slowly painting a very entertaining picture that eventually made sense in its own way. I'm glad I saw him, truely unique.
2. The Fitness 2pm or Aveo
Damn these damn festivals. Recurring theme from this day, if you don't get in line early, your not gonna see the small/ med shows. They had about twice capacity waiting outside to see Aveo... Didn't care to see The Fitness, have once before and just didn't...care to. Later in the day I was also squeezed from seeing competetive break dancing... coulda been cool... ya, I said it, cool. Onto food.
3. The Marley Brothers 3pm or The Turn Ons
Big venue, so I was able to see The Marley Brothers, starred by Ziggy Marley. Now I ain't any kind of Rasta guy, but I had a ton of fun at this show. I tell you, Reggae performed just feels really good. You can't help but dance...and, in spite of my Seattle NoDance defacto policy, I danced and wasn't self conscience... It Was Fun!
4. Harvey Danger 5pm
Damn these damn festivals. Not a chance in hell to get in. Consolation, I talked to someone who saw them and he claims they were horrible, even laughable. Either drunk or uninspired or (?)
5. The Killers 6:30pm
Damn these damn festivals. Consolation, the line waiting to hopefully get in was stuffed with pimply, sweaty, 13yr/olds. After this my second straight disappointment, with a stomach full of grease and junk, we set on a long walk outside the festival's bounds. I love loooong walks. I should talk about epic walks sometime, did one on Sunday. Well, went up one of the highest hills in Seattle, Queen Anne hill. Roaming, walking and daydreaming.
6. Built To Spill 8pm
Made it in shortly after they'd begun. Good show, but unlike many others, this band has never altered how I look at the world.
7. The Pixies 9:30pm
This was neat. I first heard The Pixies in highschool, after they'd split up. Pretty standard fare, if you know The Pixies, you are surely a fan of some degree, huge to "sure they're good". I am somewhere inbetween, more historical context. Those in attendence, I want to say millions, but there weren't... Still, it was the densest sea of people that I can recall being a part of. The set started with near literal interpretations of the tracks on album which led be to think the show was gonna turn into a drag... thankfully the show evolved and grew. The albums turned from scripts to skeletons. This and Harvey Pekar were definitely the highlights for me. Oh, The Pixies played a one song encore, "Wave of Mutilation"... don't get me wrong, it is a good song, trouble was they'd played it about a 3rd of the way into the show.hmm.
They ended at 11pm, home by 11:30. My legs were jelly. Then I thought, Holiday Pay for today! working is mostly bad, but not 100%

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home