happyweasel

Monday, August 23, 2004

Sourdough Pancakes & Waffles

OK
MJM wants to have a Sourdough Pizza lesson, but I'm gonna work up to it.
This really is easy as hell [by the way, i plan on eliminating the word "fuck" from my blog, if i really feel the need to use it, i'll replace it with the word "junk", ok?].
*The same recipe is used for both Pancakes & Waffles, 100% the same
-I picked up a $2 waffle iron at a garage sale, an older one with a steel cooking surface. It works great. I'm not a fan of teflon or other nonstick coatings whenever I have a reasonable choice.
*The Sourdough Starter for this recipe is not used for leavening.
-No raw flour is used, only sourdough processed flour. There are fewer carbohydrates, and greater health benefits for reasons that I don't know.
*Also, regular pancake recipes use 2 eggs for the same portion, here only 1
-I might be crazy, but I think they are a substanially heartier food than the reg variety. They stay with me much longer
*Sourdough Pancakes are generally not known as "Sourdough Pancakes" rather plainly as "Sourdoughs", singular, "One Sourdough"
:In real life, most measurements are not strict:

Sourdough Pancakes & Waffles

2 cups Sourdough Starter : as per previous blog instructions
2 tbsp Sugar : evaporated sugarcane juice is healthiest and really tastiest
3to4 tbsp Oil : i use more in the 3 range just fine, would olive oil be good? i __________haven't tried it, i should
1 egg
1/2(half) tspn Salt
1 tspn Baking Soda
______________________________________________________
1. In a med/large bowl mix All Ingrediants But Baking Soda. I've found a wire hand whisk works best, especially for the next step...no need to dirty the electric beater.
2. Add Baking Soda 2 or 3 minutes before you toss them onto a hot pan
3. Baking Soda: Put 1 or 2 tbsp Warm water into a small jigger glass and disolve soda
4. Fold in Soda, Do Not Beat, lightly turn batter from top to bottom, bottom to top with whisk. Let the batter fill with air, double in size. The Soda acts as a leavening agent; it works fast so, again, do this right befroe cooking
______________________________________________________
Cooking Methods:
1. Stove Top: Just as you have made regular pancakes, flipping halfway through
2. Oven: Apparently this works well, traditional in some circles. On a hot griddle (iron maybe) bake pancakes @ 350deg F, not turning, and removing when done
3. Waffle Iron: In a well heated waffle iron, cook for 3mins, maybe up to 30sec more, I don't quite remember... this is my prefered method, I just love these waffles, they can be served with maple syrup or eaten plain. I've found the waffles to be extremely portable; waffles, fruit, and water are my standard foods for Epic Walks.
Hope you like them, I think they're damn good

2 Comments:

At 8/24/2004 5:47 PM, Blogger serabears said...

I love it!!!!

 
At 8/25/2004 9:23 AM, Blogger happyweasel said...

Thanks... feel a little bit like an old man for getting excited over stuff like this, but that's alright. Hopefully you avoid getting bitten again... at least at concerts. It may not be along your music tastes, but give "Fiery Furnaces Concert" a listen (link on the right side of my page under Audio), starts in earnest around 42secs in, i think. It and Howlin' Wolf, Chess Box Set are my favorite recordings right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home