happyweasel

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Cracked Up My Scooter

I ran into the back of a van, a large white van with a large steel bumper. Drivability has not been hampered, but the plastics that are my front end buckled and fell off. The van’s bumper gave no indication of the trauma caused to my bike. After work yesterday I had the urge to swim in the Sound. No, the lake wasn‘t good enough for me I needed the cold, salt water. Rode 20 minutes in afternoon traffic, eagerly anticipating that frigid rush over my body. Oh yes, to be refreshed. Traffic in my lane was slowing due to a bus stopping, I looked in my mirror and then over my left shoulder, I'll just change lanes and fluidly keep on my way. Going 5/10mph, just rolling, I came to an abrupt halt as did the van in front of me. The door opened, slowly yielding a man outta the driver side with a look that said, “what the hell did you do?” After scanning the situation, with a flat smile, “Looks like just you.” I said ya, and sorry, he drove off and I picked up the pieces.
Was gonna take Leary and bypass Market St and Ballard but for simplicity I took the main road. I took the University Bridge instead of the Ballard Bridge ‘cause I didn’t wanna deal with going down Denny from Capital Hill. Kathy was gonna come but didn’t want to, we’d drive her car; again, she didn’t want to, I, though, insisted it was fine to stay back, I’d ride. Of late, I play badminton on Tuesday, but I didn’t want to be inside during a steamy evening. Man, sometimes I wish, upon waking up, I’d realize something didn’t really happen…it has before.
It’s a shame, my first crackup on the roads. If I replaced all the plastic, it’d cost me ~$250, but with some ingenuity, jerryrigging, and borrowed tools, I think I can put it back together…stress, It Think. As it is, I’ll drive…it just looks like an Olympic sprinter with neither their nose or chin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home