happyweasel

Sunday, August 08, 2004

Jump Right In

It is an absolute certainty now. The easiest way to get over cold water is not to freak out but by barreling right in there. I've held this belief for a long time, at least as long as I can remember, but my practice of it has been rather wuss-like. It has been common for me to stand on the shore with water nipping at my feet, then deeper to my shins, then, slowly up to my knees and theighs, then brrrr, wow, it's a lot cold there, then shivering, fearing my plunge, then finally jumping in and realizing i should have just jumped in the first place.
Water is between 7 and 8 times colder if you slowly acclimate yourself to it, I now know this. I'd all but given up swimming in the Puget Sound, rrrrr, that bastard's cold, but I was all wrong, it really is not that bad at all. Today was windy and in the low side of hot. Went over to Golden Gardens, staked out a spot that was not part of the muscle scene, played rallyball to work up some heat, and then plowed into the water. Highstepped it. Lundged and dove. Wow, I love water...salt water even tasted comforting after the initial blast. Just don't swim as much as I would in an ideal world. This year, Lake Washington, 2 or 3 alpine lakes, Lake Chelan (oh how amazing it is) and the Puget Sound. * The list makes it sound like I'm in the water all the time, don't be decieved.
What is the body of water I miss the most? You guessed it, not Lake Erie(though good now that needles are no longer washing up):
Lake Michigan... many memories on and around Lake Michigan, hope to swim in you again.
Did you have a good weekend?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home