happyweasel

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Weekend Was Camping & Tomatoes

Car camping, I'll make that distinction, there may be an ambitious person out there who needs the clarification. I swam in 2 new bodies of water: The Dosewallips River & Lake Cushman. The river was shallow & cold with a strong current. It Flows from some place inside the Olympic Mountains. Following the lead of kids with families on the rocks, on my back I caught the current, letting it carry me. In Lake Cushman I swam heartily and lingered. The water was very clean and clear, not warm, not frigid, refreshing on a warm day. Rivalled Lake Chelan. I treaded water for at least 20mins next to a highschool waterpolo team lapping from the jetty we were on to the shore. They worked much harder than me, but still I became remarkably sore. Between us, Kathy and I ate a halfpound of smoked salmon. We bought some of the worst fish and chips ever in a fit of aching hunger and made a mighty tasty oyster stew the following night. Talked to a guy whose wife is part owner of an espresso hut. Had firewood that would light for a good 5 or 10minutes and then miraculously extinguish itself. Olympia has a citywide farmers market, this may not sound exciting, but it really is something of note. Huge and affordable. Much better than anything comperable in Seattle. Small melon, peaches, and a field ripened beefsteak tomato...hands down the best tomato that i've had in...i don't know, that is a difficult thing to date... guess I have a hard time finding good tomatos... I love a tomato...I remember, somewhere between the ages of 5 & 11, having a garden in a small clearing in the woods behind our house. This was a poor location as the sun didn't shine on the garden but for short periods because of the small size of the clearing. Don't know all that I planted there, but I do know that nothing grew. Nothing that is 'cept for a tomato plant that yielded a single tomato. I waited till optimum ripeness and yanked it. Not sure what to do with it, I asked my mother, she said, "Why don't you just eat it?" So I grabbed a shaker of salt and gobbled that thing down to a tiny little core.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home