happyweasel

Monday, October 04, 2004

Movies +

I saw 3 movies this weekend, one was incredible.
Motorcyle Diaries
Two Argentineans, 23 & 29yrolds set out on a motorcycle to discover their continent, South America, in 1952. The motorcycle doesn't make it but an engaging journey unfolds. The 23yrold, Che Guevara, later became infamous.
My highest recomendation for this one. Both MJM (&Debro) and Ugly should go see it.
-----
Other Movies:
This weekend
1. Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow: This won't be for everyone, sci-fi throwback to the early days film. If you like this, check out Metropolis from 1927. I thought Space Captain was cool, see it in the theater if you want to see it... video would suck.
2. Boiler Room: I really thought this movie was gonna be better than it was. Sorta an action movie put into the context of illegal stock trading. I don't know, it was entertaining on some level, but overall was unnecessary and somewhat stupid.

Before this weekend
*3. The Station Agent: This was a real suprise. There is a little 2 screen theater 5minutes walk from my apartment that showed this movie for over a month and a half and I never saw it. It recently came on video and with a 99cent rental coupon snagged it. A little guy inherits a small railroad station house in rural New Jersey after the owner of the toy train store he works for dies. This movie was done on a thin buget but is the furthest thing from being amature. Such a good suprise. Saw it a second time with the commentary on... damn, good movie.
Check this one out.
4. Garden State: People liked this movie, so did I. Feel almost obligated to say why I like it.
I Recommend it.
5. North Fork: From what I've read about this movie I think it has gotten underestimated. The movie starts with this town in Montana, North Fork, as it prepares to evacuate as it will soon be flooded by waters resulting from a newly built dam. A peculiar movie with a host of interesting characters. Slow in the begining, get past it and you are in store for a quality story.
6. Erin Brockovich: This movie was stupid. Still, though, I caught myself, with shame mind you, giggling. It was on the shelf in the library, picking some stuff offa reservation and just got it 'cause it was there. That's all I can say, it was there and free.
7. Mean Girls: Kathy hadn't seen this, I already talked about it once. Tina Fey from Saturday Night Live wrote the screenplay and it is funny as hell. This was actually the 3rd time I'd seen it: 1st at the $3Theater 2nd with no sound on an airplane... over 5times laughed out loud 3rd recently. Like good comedies? Then you'll like this.

Books
I'm slowly reading again. My birthday marked the first time I'd picked up a book in 3months, at least.
A. Investment Biker by Jim Rodgers: Jim Rodgers and his girlfriend, Tabitha, ride BMW motorcycles on warranty around the world 57,020 miles. Jim Rodgers was a hedge fund manager and investor; Tabitha has a background in anthropology and some languages. They dropped everything on March 28th 1990 and returned November 11th 1991. You may disagree with some things he has to say, but he has an interesting take through an economic lense. I think you'd find this a worthwhile read even if you don't have a particular interest in stocks. For myself, though, it combines three things I enjoy thoroughly: 1. adventure 2. motorcycles (i've only owned 150cc scooter but i want a motorcycle) 3. the stock market...
I Recommend it
B. Lies And Lying Liars by Al Franken: I like Al Franken, I listen to him on Air America. Great book. Really funny, makes you laugh. Al Franken lambasts conservative cable news with fact after fact highlighting their dishonesty. FOX in particular. We all knew that anyway, he asserts FOX and other hyperconservative broadcasts actually influence mainstream reporting. I believe him. Hell, FOX is now mainstream.... that's scary. Entertaining and fast read, I recomend it.
C. Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefevre: A fictional biography of Jesse Livermoore "The Boy Plunger". Written in 1923, he lived and traded well beyond boyhood, earning and losing several fortunes several times. If your are interested in trading stocks this book will surely give some wisdom. I feel better for having read it. More meat than The Worlds Greatest Stock Trader but not quite as entertaining. None of the chapters have titles, only numbers. I recommend naming the chapters; it is easy to find something appropriate early in any given chapter
D. Adventure Capitalist by Jim Rodgers (again): This is what I'm reading now. This time he is driving around the world in a modified Mercedes convertable. Tabitha is mysteriously absent, this time around his fiance, Paige, is on for the trip. This book beat out Dharma Bums; started both a day apart, but Jim Rodgers won out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home