happyweasel

Friday, November 05, 2004

Movies:

The past few weeks I've seen 3 movies in the theater; I'm proud to say that they cost me a wee $6 total. I believe that $9 for a movie is ridiculous 90% of the time. Why do they all have to be the same price? How come big budget movie cost the same as smaller ones? I can't help but think that greater than 30% more people would watch a $6 movie than if it were $9.
You know what? I'm gonna try and give ratings to movies, take them for what they are worth, not a whole helluva a lot-->
Rating will be how much the movie is worth spending on. Make sense? Really is not too complicated:

1. I *heart* Huckabees $8-9
Ok, I paid $6 for this one with a discount pass and it was well worth it. I think it is being billed as an "existenial comedy" and if any movie I've seen, this one is. Feel like a young person must have made this. If you didn't like Garden State you won't like this movie; if you liked Garden State you might like this movie, better than 50% chance. I liked it, any film that is successfully unusual is worth something even if a mild headache may appear. Yeah, definitely liked it. It has the pacing and similar texture to a play.

2. Sideways $6-7
I have a few reservations with this movie. From what I've read about it, people are all crazilly in love with it. First, I liked it. I liked what it was going for but it just didn't seem genuine, like the dialogue was written. Of course it was written, but one of it's hooks was this was just real and I didn't buy it. Didn't buy the ticket either, it was a free preview. The same people made Adaptation, Election, and Citizen Ruth. The written dialogue was good, though... however sappy it may sound, it made me think about myself, the life I live, and my insecurites. Here is an article in our weekly on it. Oh, I listened to the writer directer guys answer questions after the screening, they seemed like enough nice guys.
3. Primer $8-9
This was a stunner in a way completely different than the election was, it was good! Again, this was a free prescreening of this movie. The *STAR* rating on IMBD is embarassingly low... embarassing for those that gave it the low marks. I didn't find out till after watching it that the films budget was $7000. THAT IS INSANE. $7000. I know there will be some people rolling their eyes, but I didn't by any stretch of the imagination understand everything that happened. This movie was an amazing achievement. SCi-Fi reality based... er, sci-fi in a real world setting. That's all I can say, I liked it a lot. Wish it only cost $6 to watch it just so more people would see it. Look further, maybe you'd like it too. Just an IDEA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home