happyweasel

Thursday, June 30, 2005

There Is No Sea But The Sea


Dip In
So you thought it'd be so funny if I failed my consecutive month Sound swim in June? None of that here. I'm diligent and focused. Looking at my goals, sometimes at the ready to tear them apart with my whip made from braided, hardened arteries. Throughout the day I prepared myself for a blistering hot afternoon for swimming; I imagined the sweat coming outta the pores-a my arms like miniature lawn sprinklers. You know, that kinda stuff or something. Beach balls, frisbees, beer, barbq. Well, five-o-clock came around and the sun was blazing. It was the 70's, man... here, the 70's are like the 80's on Ohio... now I'm not talking about decades if you know what I mean *wink*... nice an' hot. 2 days to go in the month and this was gonna be the one. This may come as a surprise to some, but I am able to be moderately responsible at times. If I promise something and don't follow thru, a sledgehammer of guilt will hit me, recoil, hit me again, recoil.... All I can say is that it was better for me to scrub down the tub, shower walls and curtain before venturing out. Plus I was able to get hyped up with Patti Smith and Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayham echoing through bathroom air thick with bleach, sweat, and the last reminents of mold. Hyped up before my growling, hissing, pissing race to burying myself under water without injury. That's the truth, too... I pee'd in the sound.
As we pulled into Carkeek Park, god decided to thumb his(gender neutral) nose(organ neutral) at me and dropped the sun behind the only clouds in the sky, a thick belt blossssoming up from the horizon. So, in spite of a chill replacing the sweltered heat in a mere 10minutes time, I went ahead with what I knew I needed I must do. I pealed off my Wranglers, revealed swim trunks, strapped the Keens back on, and hauled ass into the water. Not bad... I love the taste of salt water. Mexican food, Fred Meyer, the Amgen DNA double helix bridge, and the discovery of a free, ladies Schwinn Suburban 10speed bike out by the dumpster rounded out the public part of nice evening.
May
April

2 Comments:

At 6/30/2005 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh friend, I have just discovered the wonder of swimming in cold ocean water with a wetsuit. Entering the water, the requisite flinches and reflexes from the cold water waves hitting me initally reared their heads, but wait! that lovely neoprene or whatever had buffered all temperuature. You should try it, tho, I guess that would make your challenge not as glamorous- but then you could up the ante by swimmming longer and/or further- regardless its still more than 99.99% of humans are doing..........i'm telling you heaven and increased enjoyment awaits you and your hardened arteries thro comfortable and bouyoant swimming- but the audience certainly understands the need to inflict pain and guilt upon yourself.

 
At 7/15/2005 3:35 PM, Blogger happyweasel said...

yeah, i've heard about the the wonders of a wetsuit and cold ocean waters. But, yes, i think it would compromise my monthly swims.
Eventually, though, I do plan to test the ol' neoprene outfit out. I plan to learn how to surf in warmer waters and then have my father's abandoned wetsuit at my mother's house shipped to me where i'll become a both active and instantly famous member of the seattle surfers club.
For the swims i must continue to bare my birdlike chest in the bastardly cold waters of the Puget Sound.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home