happyweasel

Monday, July 19, 2004

Peanuts


I just bought the fist book of 25 that chronicals the entire history of the Peanuts comic strip. Now I know many of you have the impression from the newspapers that Peanuts is a stupid strip, this is fair given what is immediately accessable. The early ones are not only funny but insightful and very creative.
I remember being driven up to my grandmother's house in Detroit and spending many hours in her basement. Now you may think that my relatives "encouraged" me to go down there, but rather they often stood on the top stairs and pled with my sisters, cousins, and myself to surface and share our joy with them. Without flinching, we'd plod forward with our games, maddness, and dizzying activities. We'd throw what we could, play cards, various versions of tag, word twists, make noises, rifle through and play act with our long passed grandfather's mahoganey pipes, AND read through many many many old peanuts paperback comic books.
Over the years, starting about 2 ago, I started picking up copies of peanuts books wherever I could find them, thrift stores, used books stores, garage sales. Every once in a while I see a peanuts cartoon on tv, they are really funny. Everyone should be familiar with the Christmas special, remember how they all dance? That is pretty much the baseline for how I move when the tunes are popping.
Well, I finally got the first book of Peanuts reissues. From the 1st strip on... holy crap is this book great. Consider buying it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home